Gippsland Medicare Local is a new, not for profit primary health care organisation, established to coordinate primary health care delivery in Gippsland and tackle local health care needs and service gaps.
The Gippsland Medicare Local is part of a nation wide network of medicare Locals established by the Commonwealth Government as part of the national health reform program. The 5 key objectives of Medicare Locals are to:
- Improving the patient journey through developing integrated and coordinated services
- Provide support to clinicians and service providers to improve patient care
- Identification of the health needs of local areas and development of locally focused and responsive services
- Facilitation of the implementation and successful performance of primary health care initiatives and programs
- Be efficient and accountable with strong governance and effective management
The GML is a company limited by guarantee and has offices in Bairnsdale, Moe and Inverloch.
Gippsland Medicare Local is primarily funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing’s Primary Care Practice Support Branch, the Mental Health Services Branch, headspace National Youth Mental Health Foundation and the Rural Primary Health Service Program.
Medicare Locals. Gippsland Medicare Local will work with general practice, allied health and community health care providers to drive improvements and greater integration in primary health care and ensure that services are better tailored to meet the needs of local communities.
Gippsland Medicare Local is a not for profit organisation which provides high quality support services to primary health care clinicians in the Gippsland region. Building on the work of the previous Divisions of General Practice, our services are provided to GPs, physiotherapists, dietitians, occupational therapists and other allied health professionals to improve healthcare in the local community.
Services provided by Gippsland Medicare Local include:
- Support to clincians and service providers;
- Continuing Professional Development;
- Indigenous access to mainstream general practice;
- Aged Care initiatives;
- Immunisation support and resources;
- ehealth Initiatives;
- Mental Health Programs.
Primary care is generally the first point of contact people have with the health system. Primary care can include general practice, allied health services, community health and community pharmacy and relates to the treatment of non-admitted patients in the community.
Board & CEO
The constitution of Gippsland Medicare Local Limited (ABN 52 155 514 702) trading as Gippsland Medicare Local, sets out the responsibilities of the Board and of Directors and gives to them the power to govern the organisation in order to achieve its mission and strategic corporate plans.
- Board members have the overall responsibility for corporate governance;
- setting the strategic direction of the company and the goals for management;
- reviewing the plans of management, and monitor the performance of management against those plans in achieving the established goals;
- ensuring compliance with statutory responsibilities.
Gippsland Medicare Local is a member of the Australian Medicare Local Alliance.
Gippsland Medicare Local Board:
- Mr Mark Biggs
- Ms Susan Davies
- Mr Ben Leigh
- Mr Duncan Malcolm
- Dr Nola Maxfield (Chair)
- Ms Kellie O’Callaghan
- Ms Diane Sullivan
- Mr Jim Turcato
- Ms Leah Young